Colorado Rail Facts for June 2009
The D&RGW Train Depot in Grand Junction was one of the costliest small railroad stations of the West, at $60,000, when it was built, beginning in 1905.
A large oval waiting room greeted the public who entered the depot through glass and oak doors. During the 1920s the second floor was extended over the entire oval room but was restored to its original 22-foot ceiling during a remodel in the 1990s. Stained glass that had been removed during the earlier remodel was restored in the later project.
The Friends of the Grand Junction Railroad Depot, a private, non-profit group of concerned citizens in Mesa County, have the shared goal of restoring and revitalizing the historic railroad depot.
The depot is privately owned and is currently for sale for $1.1 million.
(Editor’s note: There was an error in last months Rail Facts – Sargents sits on the west side of Monarch Pass, not the east side.)
Did you enjoy this story?
Help us continue to provide exciting, informative content.
SUBSCRIBE to the print edition of Colorado Central Magazine.
Only $25 for one year. CLICK HERE NOW.